A hot meal, and a smile...
Last night was a wonderful night. My law office does an annual service project at Paz de Cristo (a food shelter for those in need) and the opportunity is always met with EVERYONE wanting to help out, and be a part of the service. We all bring our families and kids, and everyone helps chipping in to cook the food, serve the food, and clean up.
I was in charge of going around and giving people grape juice. I was so humbled as I walked around, and saw the gratitude in the eyes of these people. They sat at the tables, with a hot meal, waving to those they knew, and making new friends around them. I tried my best to be the happiest craziest Jen that I knew how, so that they would have a great time. I think we all did. One of my co-workers son's (Sam, 10) said quietly, 'this is the best thing to do, I am so lucky.' Although there is much rejoicing in serving, there is also pain and sorrow when you have given your all, and there is still so much need. There was a mom and her one year old baby girl who came to dinner. The baby's name was Alexis... she had beautiful brown hair, and big brown eyes. When I looked at her, and called her name, she gave me a beautiful happy and hopeful smile. How badly I wanted to cradle that baby in my arms, and give her everything that she deserves! As Em and I left after cleaning up, and all had left after dinner, it felt as if we were walking a little taller, and a little more grateful. What a blessing it is to give. I am so thankful for everything that I have.
Happy Holiday's everyone... I hope that we can all spend a little less on ourselves, and a little more on those who really need some Christmas cheer this year.
If you want more information about donating,
or volunteering to/at Paz De Cristo go
HERE
I was in charge of going around and giving people grape juice. I was so humbled as I walked around, and saw the gratitude in the eyes of these people. They sat at the tables, with a hot meal, waving to those they knew, and making new friends around them. I tried my best to be the happiest craziest Jen that I knew how, so that they would have a great time. I think we all did. One of my co-workers son's (Sam, 10) said quietly, 'this is the best thing to do, I am so lucky.' Although there is much rejoicing in serving, there is also pain and sorrow when you have given your all, and there is still so much need. There was a mom and her one year old baby girl who came to dinner. The baby's name was Alexis... she had beautiful brown hair, and big brown eyes. When I looked at her, and called her name, she gave me a beautiful happy and hopeful smile. How badly I wanted to cradle that baby in my arms, and give her everything that she deserves! As Em and I left after cleaning up, and all had left after dinner, it felt as if we were walking a little taller, and a little more grateful. What a blessing it is to give. I am so thankful for everything that I have.
Happy Holiday's everyone... I hope that we can all spend a little less on ourselves, and a little more on those who really need some Christmas cheer this year.
If you want more information about donating,
or volunteering to/at Paz De Cristo go
HERE

No comments:
Post a Comment