2.28.2007

Step-Mom's are cool...

I have heard that there is a rule on this earth that every Step-mother must be wicked. It's almost a fact because Cinderella's step-mother is a trip. Although this might be the consensus, I find this to be totally silly, as I am not a wicked step-mother but a silly step-mother. If my Alex was to use the work wicked to describe me, I would hope it would be used in this sentence:
"My step-mom is wicked cool."
After spending this past weekend with my little (or big) freakazoid (my loving and tender nickname for him) I have come to realize exactly why it is that I was meant to be a mom. I am grateful that life has afforded me the opportunity to have a swing at the pre-teen years, WAYYYYY before I will need it with my own genetic offspring.
Here are some reasons why being a mom is so darn cool:
1. Because you can teach your children from your own knowledge and experiences
(for instance, Emery and I have discussed it, and feel that our children will not learn to associate the name Helicopter with a traditional Helicopter, but will be taught 'Ghetto Bird'. I tried this with my nieces, and it was a hilarious success!)
2. Because you can sing to them, and they will think you have the most beautiful voice
(especially when you totally impress your 9 year old with knowing all the word's to Backstreet Boy's "Larger than Life".)
3. Because board games wouldn't be fun without the element of 'kid rules'
4. Because what would life be like without your prized SUV being puked on, spilled on and totally taken for granted? (all of these have applied personally)
5. Because when there is down time, and he snuggles up to me, it's a treat...
6. Because I am able to revert to my kid side sometimes, and run around and do things that he thinks are totally appropriate mom behavior as the rest of the world may not. (like driving/weaving in and out of construction cones while my little A is laughing heartily...)
7. Because whenever Emery or I call Alex to talk, and we ask him what we can do for him he replies: "Just keep being the best parents Ever."
Totally Dude.

3 comments:

Linz said...

Youre so fab Jen, I love you! You were born to be a great mom and you soooooo are!

Layton Clan said...

Lins - Oh you are so fab yourself. I just adore you. What a crazy fun mom you are going to be, and how lucky your kids are to come to you, and Ben! We will have to trade off practical jokes we play on our kids. Love you fabulous. Jen

Courtney said...

This is the cutest post ever! I can totally imagine you doing all of these things....you are a cutie and a great mom!