6.11.2007

Think French...

I am doing a wedding luncheon this upcoming July 7Th. It's for a lifelong friend who's family is not from Arizona, but who are having to do a luncheon here. So, me being the lifelong friend and wedding extraordinaire of sorts that I am I offered to help. But, I do need some input and help from some of you ladies.

My life long friend who we will call Dr. S asked his then chickadee to be his wife on top of the Eiffel tower. I know, romantic. This tasteful celebration of beauty, art and romance brings me to want to touch on the French side of things at the luncheon. Here are some of the pictures I see in my head. If you have any fabulous ideas for a trendy french theme, please indulge.

Hydrangea's in galvanized buckets (overflowing of course)
Classic 'old fashioned' alarm clocks (from Ikea)

Assorted flavors of Candy Sticks in vintage candy jars (on each table)

Chunky black toile fabric squares as a small tablecloth over white linens
Vintage Eiffel tower finds (mod podge to galvanized bucket) or in frames

Menu for the lunch:
French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jues
Maple Syrup Spinach Salad
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad
Water melon
Assorted cookies (all recipes from the bride and grooms mothers and grandmothers) I was going to do crepes with all different sorts of fillings, but it would be SO time consuming...
So get those creative wheels turning and give me some suggestions!
Thanks!

10 comments:

Jill Manning said...

oh my gosh, I am in love with these theme! I am jealous that you get to play with this! I am still going to try to come up with things but first thing first...I had a friend who at her wedding reception had a crepe bar. The crepes were continually being made but the people could put whatever they wnated on it, fruit, chocolate, syrup coconut...whatever sounds devine! It was a hit. Of course she had all different typs of bars as well like a chocolate fountain bar, bar-b-que bar, desert bar...so on and so on. But I love the Eiffel Tower toille (sp?) idea! I'm obsessed with that design right now. Maybe something with berets and baskets with bunched up flowers and french bread rolls sticking out of them. I'll think of some more! I have a vision in my head as I write but I can't get in words. What a long entry sorry!

Kaylani said...

jen, so fun! you know me, I'm always up for a party and I LOVE doing things like that! Let me know if you need any help! We need to get to Micahel's too...maybe Saturday?

Anonymous said...

Wow Jen! You can be my wedding planner okay! I have just hired you, no questions asked! :) I love this idea. I think you should put the pictures in frames, not modgepodged onto buckets. My best friend,Emalee, went to DI and picked up a bunch of cheapo frames that didn't match and painted them white. She put pictures of her and her now hubby in them, so they all matched, but weren't the same. It was so cute. They really were easy and cheap and just was so vintage. (She had her wedding reception in a refurbished farm barn. It was so cool.) So, that is my idea as of now. You could sand the edges to make the frames look "older" or more worn. Even adding a slight wash of gold or silver paint would be so pretty. I think I am going to do that in my new appartment in my bedroom. Hang them on the wall all creativly from fat ribbons. I am excited!

Good luck Jen! I love this idea!

Chellie said...

Wow. You are super ultra talented and creative! I love everything. What a lucky girl to have you on her side and help her out! It's going to be amazing!

IronLawGirl said...

I've just decided that I'm going to get married again, and you are going to to my wedding! YOu're so awesome!

Kylie said...

Parties, lucnhes, dinners (especially with a theme) are so fun to plan!! Here are a few ideas:

For serving drinks carafes full of ice cold lemonade (you coud even add fresh berries to the lemonade). I love the idea of using a variety of cake stands to create height- look on martha stewarts webstie under the french countryside baby shower and notice the cute cake stand in the picture with the teacups on it and flowers in the middle. If you got enough cake stands it would even be cute to do a cakestand on each table. Also- I don't know how many people you are having, but I have access to 10 cute little white tables- they only seat 4 (maybe 5) at a table...but it could give you a very Euro cafe look (we've used them at several weddings). I love your food ideas! They have recipes for savory crepes such as brocolli cheese and asparagus chicken crepes on allrecipes.com that you make ahead of time- kind of casserole style. Here are other food possibilites: petit fours, creme brulee, french onion soup, frech bread, stuffed french toast, any assortments of cheese, crackers, grapes, cream puffs with anything from chicken salad to french vanilla ice cream inside, croissants,souffles or quiche...ok this going to be a forever long comment..so I'll stop. You need to have a girls lunch and have everyone bring one french recipe to try so you can taste everything and decide! =)

Kylie said...

ok, as my last comment wasn't long enough (you don't have to post any of these if you don't want to). I went to this big auction not long ago and they had sparkling cider which would also be fun to use and romantic...anyway they got wine/chamapage glasses at IKEA that were 6 for $4 or something like that- very reasonable!

Kylie said...

Sorry....one more comment- here's a link to several french recipes
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/World-Cuisine/Europe/France/ViewAll.aspx

Layton Clan said...

Thank you SOOOOO very much for all the suggestions! These are so great. I am feeling the need to do crepes... they are SO french. I'll post pictures of the final product, and of course Mrs. Mavity, you can help 100%. And yes, let's make a Saturday date at Michael's a must.

Bowman Family said...

This is really simple, but it's what we're doing for HFPE tonight. The theme is "An Evening in Paris" and we are having a nice, simple french meal. The centerpieces are nice cutting boards and bread knives and baguettes. Yes, the centerpiece will get messy and eventually disappear as it is eaten away, but it is simple and yummy. You probably are going to go with something a little more flashy, but I thought I would throw this out there.
Have a great week! Tell Alex "hi" too!
Meg :-)