What's your best party story?
(Said projects in Queens NY)
Mrs. Dub requested that we share our best "when the party dies down and you tell a story" story, but I decided to share it with all of blogdom. There ARE actually two from my mission to NYC, so bare with me.
Story #1
In Jamaica (Jamaica Queens New York City that is) there is the most ghetto of all branches en la inglesia de Jesu Cristo de los santos de los ultimos dias. For real. Any way, it's Fast and Testimony meeting, and there are always fantastic testimonies born of revelations and such but this Sunday was special. Investigators were there, all was cozy and then a man decides to stand up and proclaim "I had an affair with the relief society president" and then the woman responsible for all the other women's welfare in the branch, namely the RS President, stands up and screams back "No you didn't" and the man retaliates back by screaming and holding his hands up pointing to his head "IN MY MIND..."
Story #1
In Jamaica (Jamaica Queens New York City that is) there is the most ghetto of all branches en la inglesia de Jesu Cristo de los santos de los ultimos dias. For real. Any way, it's Fast and Testimony meeting, and there are always fantastic testimonies born of revelations and such but this Sunday was special. Investigators were there, all was cozy and then a man decides to stand up and proclaim "I had an affair with the relief society president" and then the woman responsible for all the other women's welfare in the branch, namely the RS President, stands up and screams back "No you didn't" and the man retaliates back by screaming and holding his hands up pointing to his head "IN MY MIND..."
That's always a crowd pleaser.
Story #2
Woodside, Queens New York City, The Projects on the East River
My companion and I had received a media referral for a woman who wanted a Book of Mormon. We scheduled an appointment with her at around 4 in the afternoon in the projects. Our mission president at the time wanted the missionaries out of the projects before it got dark, and we always did our best. This day though, was different. This woman carried on for an hour, and then cried, and cried, and by the time we got out of there it was at least six thirty or seven. It was dark, so we made a be line for the exit of the projects. All of the sudden we hear gun shots, and then I feel my body being thrown to the ground and then landed upon by a very heavy and smelly object. Everything is a blur and if feels like I am starting to pass out and then I hear "Get out of here white girls, you shouldn't be here, ya'll"... Yes. You read that right. My companion from Utah and I were smack dab in the middle of a gang fight and a big man decided to save us by jumping us to the ground. I wish I knew that man's name so that I could pray that he finds a way out of the projects, but that is unlikely as he is probably floating in the east river. I'll still pray for him though.
What's your best party story? Do tell...
Story #2
Woodside, Queens New York City, The Projects on the East River
My companion and I had received a media referral for a woman who wanted a Book of Mormon. We scheduled an appointment with her at around 4 in the afternoon in the projects. Our mission president at the time wanted the missionaries out of the projects before it got dark, and we always did our best. This day though, was different. This woman carried on for an hour, and then cried, and cried, and by the time we got out of there it was at least six thirty or seven. It was dark, so we made a be line for the exit of the projects. All of the sudden we hear gun shots, and then I feel my body being thrown to the ground and then landed upon by a very heavy and smelly object. Everything is a blur and if feels like I am starting to pass out and then I hear "Get out of here white girls, you shouldn't be here, ya'll"... Yes. You read that right. My companion from Utah and I were smack dab in the middle of a gang fight and a big man decided to save us by jumping us to the ground. I wish I knew that man's name so that I could pray that he finds a way out of the projects, but that is unlikely as he is probably floating in the east river. I'll still pray for him though.
What's your best party story? Do tell...

9 comments:
That is just crazy! I can't hink of any good party stories. I have been trying to come up eith one all day and have drawn a total blank. I keep wondering if my life is really THAT boring!
Oh my gosh! First story....I totally have a similar one....seems like anytime we brought an investigator to church on F&T meeting the crazies came out to chat! That second story...scary!! I got bee-bee gun shot at and that was enough for me!! I bet your mom didnt want to hear that story!
That is funny. I served in your mission in 2000-2001 and had many similar experiences. I actually live here in NYC now. I have been here for 4 years and it is funny to hear about how people reflect back on the wards and branches here. It is a whole different story being a "member" here and not just a missionary. Anyway... I saw your blog through one of my friends from Eagar, AZ as well as Kristy Glass.
stories like that are what make me wish i'd gone on a mission! i can't believe you survived whatever mission you did but great work doin it!
Those are some CRAZY stories!! Wow...you need to write a book--it sounds like there weren't too many dull moments on your mission!! Ü
Oh, Sister West, that brings back great memories!!! Man I miss you and all the other great sisters I served with, and the ghetto moments that were ever abundant, adventurous, and unexpected. Love ya tons!!!
Sister Parker
ps. robby and i have been quoting the first story all week.
Can I come to one of your parties?? Those are CRAZY stories!! I can't say I have any to compare, but like melmck said, now I wish I had gone on a mission.
I remember these! Ha ha! You forgot the PSYCHO purple prom dress lady! And how bout the FAKE proposal!:)
Post a Comment