Layton Family Reunion 2008
This
past weekend was the Layton Family Reunion in Pinetop/Lakeside Arizona.
Grandma Layton, her four kids and their 31 (plus or minus a few) kids and a
ridiculous amount of grand kids had a blast for four whole days of fun,
laughter, and a few miracles or shall we say, tender mercies.
I feel really grateful to be part of this wonderful family -
little did I ever know in High School that I would become part of this huge
unit, and that I would benefit from their love. Little did I also know
that I would get to share family reunions with Kaylani - just a shout out for my
girl Kaylani. You're an awesome mom, sister, daughter and friend, and I love
you!
On Sunday night we were all joined at the Kent Layton
family Cabin, and Grandma's four children were telling stories from their
youth. My niece Jillian (10 months old) was crawling around on the floor
and apparently put a game piece (SORRY game) in her mouth. Her older
sister Janey noticed, and told her mom, but not before Jilly had already
swallowed the piece. The piece lodged in her windpipe, and she immediately
started choking. Susan frantically called out for help, and both Ed (Matt
Porter, Louisa Layton-Porter's husband who just finished medical school) and
Kent Layton (Doctor for many years) jumped into action. It felt like
forever that he was working on her, trying to feel the piece and get it out of
her throat. We were all so worried, as she was not breathing well, and the
time just kept getting longer and longer. They finally decided that they
needed to call 911, and did. By the time the ambulance arrived, Ed thought
he could feel the game piece. Once they got her into the ambulance they
were able to use a trache kit, and some forceps, and pull the piece out.
Had Ed and Kent not been there, a priesthood blessing not been administered, and
had 100 plus people not knelt in prayer in little Jill's behalf, I think today
we may have been in mourning, rather than rejoicing. I
am so grateful for my little Jilly Bean, for Ed and Kent who have both
endured years of schooling to obtain the knowledge that they have, for a calm
and collect Dottie who led the family in prayer, and for the many blessings that
our Heavenly Father bestows upon us, and the miracles that he allows us to see
physically with out non-spiritual eyes.
I am just going to post by
individual events – for blogging book purposes – makes it so much
easier.
(The Double B, completely over-run by Layton's!)
1 comment:
That is a really touching story. Kids scare me with constantly putting things in their mouths. I'm glad she's okay.
And, once again, let me say how absolutely cute your little guy is! I love his little legs in the picture with Emery.
Post a Comment