
This presidential season has been edifying as Emery and I have not just elected (no pun intended!) to vote Republican (because that is what our parents did) or gone the big 'D' (Democratic) because it's all the rave, but we have actually done our homework on both parties, both Vice Presidents and both Presidential candidates. I have weighed both sides, and at times still, have been found wanting - until now. There have been times when I have wanted to shout "Yes We Can" with the millions of Barack Obama followers, and yet, at the end of the day, his lack of experience, his open ended promises (which mind you, most all presidential candidates have a field day with), and the major differences morally that I have with the Democratic ideals (abortion and Gay Marriage are my main objectives in this statement) keep me from donning a pin with Obama/Biden emblazoned across the front. I feel like he genuinely wants a better America - a better place for his small children to grow up, but I now see that our visions of America yet both improved - go in different places. There have been times that my eyes literally have cried tears of appreciation, compassion and pride as I have pondered the great sacrifice it was for John McCain to not only be fiercely loyal to his country in it's time of need, and in his time of trial - and to smile at the other America men while he suffered was to me, a true character definer. He is an American Hero, a Maverick as they call him. The republican party has more than naught been defined as the White Collar party - the party of the over 250k club. At this time in my life, my husband and I are no where near that number as we just over a year and a half ago started a small business, just months ago had a baby, and I quit a job that was a main source of dependent income for us to stay home with our sweet baby boy. We are now paying out of pocket for health insurance, and are fully aware now that the American Dream as it once was (a piece of land - not taxed to the hilt, or owned by a bank by three mortgages - a family where the mother stays home, and one income was more than substantial for a family to survive - good, clean and positive education that inspires our children to want to succeed) is gone - gone baby gone, or is it drill baby drill? Is the Republican party really going to fight for the little man, the small business, the stay at home mother? Now more than ever the time for a President who is ready to face the reality of our economy - not just hide behind it, is here. I have really appreciated President Bush's proactive presidency. No - he did not do everything perfect, but he for the most part has been honest. So many have been angry at him because of this was in Iraq. I for one seem to remember a time back in let's say - September of 2001, when our president, newly elected, was brought to answer for and respond to the greatest American tragedy in years. I remember watching as he promised America that we would respond, and that we would defend our freedom - and I remember most of America cheering him and his decision. Now, years later, he is ridiculed and his presidency is ending with him being labeled as a war junkie. Not so. I feel so defensive of him - I feel like challenging every naysayer who says 'bring our troops home Bush' to go through the same challenge, and see how they handled the pressure. I have felt great peace as he has been our President, and almost feel a sense of sorrow that his term will end so soon. I am almost positive that he wants our troops home, and that he would like for all the madness to stop. Now, going past Democratic/Republican and President Bush is Sarah Palin - three words - you go girl. I love this woman - she embodies every thing that inspires me - she is a professional, a wife who is in love and lust with her husband, a mother who is determined to raise good children - no MATTER the decisions they make (yes world - you are a terrible mother if your child decides to go against your better judgment and teachings and get pregnant at 17... whatever), a woman who is passionate about her country and about the future it holds for her children, a God fearing woman and a woman of faith, and a woman who is not afraid to take life to it's fullest potential. I honestly feel that she would be a breath of fresh air for this country. A beautiful element to a hard, dark and cold Washington - believe me, you enter the 'District' and it is all a sea of black suits, and leather brief cases - although I loved living there, and long to go back, the daunting nature of the 'business class' could use a splash of Sarah Palin, for sure. Yes, I realize she is a new mother to a special needs child, and yes, I know that there would be at least 3 children with her in Washington. I also know (from experience) that sometimes as a spouse you have to take chances with your companion, and leave what you do, to allow your best friend and partner to seize their dreams, and champion them on through the experience. I am sure her husband is with her fully in her decision. It will be a growing experience for their whole family, and they will be better for it - if they let it. So. L O N G S T O R Y S H O R T - I am grateful for the opportunity that we have to vote - that we are free to choose for ourselves and for our families, the destiny we see most effective for our lives. I am grateful that we live in a country that declared 'in God we trust', as that is also my motto, and my life's end goal. Hopefully someday my children reading this journal will remember to study all things in their minds and in their hearts, and involve their Heavenly Father in all the decisions they make. God Bless America - my home sweet home.


7 comments:
You go Girl! Your kids have a MaMa that knows a good thing when she sees & hears it! And seeks the truth, to be told in ways other than just how the media wants to say it!
here here!
Nice work Jen!!
I could not agree with you more. What a great post. I loved reading your thoughts on this subject. Like you said about Sarah....you go girl!
You have such a way with words. I feel exactly the same way.
Well said Westie! I'm still on the fence but, like y'all, am oh so excited by the choices this election and by being informed for the first time in my life.
Yeah for Palin!! I seriously haven't ever been this excited for an election. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Very well said. Ditto to what everyone else has said :-)
Post a Comment