Blessed
Tomorrow is my 28th birthday. Most people celebrate their birthdays as a time to remember their birth, and I do, believe me. But for 10 years now, I have celebrated a second chance at life on my birthday. Today I celebrate 10 years of survival from a cancer that is not known for leaving many survivors. Today I celebrate the miraculous prayers, fasting, hope and tears that were offered by a family, a family of friends, a school, a church and a community.
When I first found out I had a brain tumor, I was with a friend at my home. I begged him to take me to Mexico, so that I wouldn’t have to face the reality of cancer. I was sure that running away would make it better. Today I celebrate my trial, and its teaching power. I faced my fear and since that time have faced many more. I have learned that running away from anything only makes you further from the truth, and from facing it. If you don’t face it, no one can help you, and you will die – whether that be a physical death or a spiritual death, they are the same.
There have been times that I have allowed myself to wonder why I was spared, when everyone around me going through chemotherapy and radiation would eventually die. Why was I so important and what did that mean for me? There have been times that I selfishly wished that I would have gone – as the other side seems so much more peaceful than this hard, cold and mean world – those times have come and gone with great speed.
I have appreciated my life so much more now that I see how quickly it can go. I appreciate my relationships so much more, and rarely let anyone out of my sight without telling them that I love them, and how I feel about them. My eyes rarely want to close, because the sights I see are so beautiful, and alive. Living life truly had a new meaning, and has changed my perspective of this mortal state.
The other night I was alone with Max, rocking him in his nursery. I had just fed him, and was feeling an overwhelming amount of love for him. In the background a soft melody played:
“Goodnight my angel, time to close your eyes And save
these questions for another day I think I know what you've been asking me I
think you know what I've been trying to say I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know Wherever you may go, no matter where you are
these questions for another day I think I know what you've been asking me I
think you know what I've been trying to say I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know Wherever you may go, no matter where you are
I never will be far away
Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an Emerald Bay
And like a boat out on the ocean I'm rocking you to
sleep The water's dark and deep inside this ancient heart
sleep The water's dark and deep inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me
Goodnight my angel, now it's time to dream And dream how
wonderful your life will be Someday your child may cry, and if you sing this
lullaby Then in your heart, there will always be a part of me Someday we'll all
be gone, but lullabies go on and on They never die, that's how you and I will be.”
wonderful your life will be Someday your child may cry, and if you sing this
lullaby Then in your heart, there will always be a part of me Someday we'll all
be gone, but lullabies go on and on They never die, that's how you and I will be.”
I listened to the words of this beautiful song, and as I looked into the face of my beautiful son through tears, I realized that if for only that moment I was meant to feel alive and the joy of being a mother then all the trials of this life are worth it.
I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister and a friend. I have been a student, an employee, a missionary, a teacher, and a professional. I have traveled the world, lived and studied in our Nations Capital, served in New York City and been at home in my Arizona. I have been blessed, and am so thankful that can celebrate 28 years and a new vision for my eternal life. I thank my Heavenly Father for how things have worked out in my life. I thank him for the faith of my father, the beauty and attitude of my mother, the strength of my husband and for his adoration for me (he really does adore me – I am so lucky!) and for the beautiful brown eyes of my baby boy that look into mine every day and night that speak to me – “…lead me guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday.”
I am blessed, and will always be sure to live it.
I want to be known as the woman who lived her life with happiness as her main objective, and service as her greatest tool. I want to be a friend who does not speak ill of anyone, and a wife who only cheers her darling husband on. I strive to be a woman of faith, and a woman of gratitude. I will just keep striving!
So – all in all, I am alive and feel more blessed than I ever have.
Happy Birth/Life day to me.
Happy Birth/Life day to me.
12 comments:
Wow Jen, this was moving. I'm so sad that I wasn't there for that part of your life, just to hold your hand. You are amazing. Happy Birthday by the way. I hope it's a wonderful celebration. Give that little cutie Max a squeeze for me.
Happy Birthday tomorrow!
I just wanted to tell you that I read this post and it helped me today. Thanks. You are wonderful.
Anna
I for one am grateful for your life. You touched me in NY and touch others around you. YOU are a survivor and a great example. Thanks for the great times! Happy Birthday!
Happy happy birthday Jen!! You seriously are such and inspiration to so many. Love you! Hope you have a wonderfulicious birthday!
You are beautiful. :)
You are amazing!! I'm so grateful we're friends. Happy birthday!!!
Jen, You are a beautiful woman of God. You have always been an example of that for me and I have looked to that example more times that I think you know. :) Love you so much.
Hey and did you know that we are only 3 1/2 years apart in age? Wow!
Happy Birthday! I love you. I'm glad you're still around. I like to claim you as one of my best friends.
Happy Birthday wonderful cousin and friend! You are amazing and are we really that old that it has already been 10 years! Whew!
You are one amazing woman. I am so lucky to have you as my sister. :) You always manage to make me smile, even through the tears. I LOVE YOU!
WOW that was amazing! You have such a great outlook on life. I was truly touched and like you, I will continue to strive.
What a beautiful celebration of life! And what a beautiful picture! I am truly so grateful too for you in MY LIFE. You have always been such a good example to me, especially in NYC. My Long Island transfer sometimes seemed it never would end, but thanks to you I pulled thru it:-) Your good attitude, fun loving nature and love of the Gospel did just the trick for me, and I now dont just look back at Brentwood as one of the coldest times of my mission BUT now as one of the Greatest times of my mission:-) Never will forget the Neflesbergs...:-) Good times:-) Thank you for keep on keepin on:-)
Love you!!!
cat
Post a Comment