6.06.2009

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me...

{Part of a letter I am writing to Russell, in Mexico - how thankful I am for you little Max!}

"Tonight I was laying on my bed with Max, trying to get him to sleep. He has been wanting to 'play' right before bed, and sometimes it lasts a long time! The room was completely dark, except for the light from under the bedroom door coming from the loft where Emery was watching something. I have been trying to teach Max how to turn himself around, and get off our bed with his legs and not to just 'fall off' the bed. He fell off once, and although it is not too far off the ground, it still hurts! He started to giggle, and got down like I had been teaching him, holding my hand the whole time. In the dark - barley able to see even shapes, he slipped off the bed, and held onto my hand tight, and then as if to say 'Momma, I am okay' he squeezed my hand once, and then started to crawl. He crawled to the little crack under the door that had the only light in the room, and silently whispered 'Dadda'. He would then crawl back to where he knew I was, say 'Ma' and then I would say 'Max' so that he could listen to my voice and find me on the bed. We then would take hands again, and I would kiss him as he squealed with delight. This we did for at least a half an hour. The first time his little hand left mine, I felt a loss. I felt this little independent hand leave mine, and I knew that it would only be a short time that he would not even want to hold my hand. I also tried to apply this situation to the relationship with have with our Father in Heaven. Our Father knows that at some point - although our eyes are 'dark', He has to let go of our 'spiritual hand' and allow us to travel in this life - through the dark. His hope is that we travel in the direction of the 'light' - back to him. I felt a surge of gratitude as I watched my little lended spirit go towards the only light in the room, because it brought comfort and he knew that 'Dada' was just beyond the door in the light. I wanted to write this to you, as you are literally assisting our Father in Heaven in helping the people of Mexico find 'the light'. I hope that you will always remember the faces of the people you meet, and teach, and the lessons they teach you as they humbly accept the Gospel - this is a great work you are doing - I can say so from experience!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really really sweet jen :) Thanks for sharing!

Layton Mom said...

Thanks Jen!