9.11.2009

Proud to be an American...


We (Emery and I) were just talking last night about how out children (Alex was only 5) will never know what it felt like to be an American on September 11th 2001, and the months/years following that day. I felt a twinge of sadness - not wishing that our country would sustain more tragedy - but that my children will not have experienced the same life changing love that I 'grew' for my country as we rallied together to 'protect it's innocence'. I am sure they will have their own experiences that will turn their hearts to their 'fathers' and to their land of inheritance. I feel grateful today that I was able to see hope and peace through tragedy those eight years ago. I am grateful that I lived in the DC area on that day, and that I was able to serve the people of NYC just a few months post 9.11.01. I feel grateful that there is a merciful God who although allows tragedy to occur, also heals hearts and promises eternal life.

Today, and all days, the Layton family is proud to be American.

No comments: