11.17.2006

Advice to my little brother...

Today is a day of reflection for me. My little brother came into my office to announce that his mission call was at home, waiting for him... OH THE AGONY OF WAITING!

(this is me in 02' when I got my call...)

I had to reflect on my own "mission paper opening" experience, and the absolute joy/fear/excitement that I had. What a blessing my mission was! I wanted to tell Sterl how proud of him that I am. What a blessing he has been in my life. While I was serving, he was my most faithful writer. He would send me a motivational scripture every time he had a chance. I don't think he will ever know how much it meant for me to get those words and thoughts of advice. What a sweetheart he has always been to me. Sterling and I have had a special relationship. We have always been able to discuss important things (whether we agreed with each other or not) and have also always been able to confide in each other. There have been many times when he has allowed me to talk with him about some hard things in life, and have him respond with advice and counsel beyond his 19 years...

Sterling. If I could give you advice for this journey it would be these simple things:

1. Obey ALL the rules of the mission, and our Heavenly Father's laws
2. Cherish the time that you have as a missionary, and cherish the time you have as a literal servant
3. Love the people so much, that they become a part of you. Teach them to live the gospel with the same vigor that you teach it. Help them to gain a testimony of the basics, and the rest will come...
4. As dad always says, and said to me upon my return: You are never a returned missionary. Prepare your life so that you can be a missionary for the rest of your life...

I love you, and am so proud of you.

Love, your sister and greatest fan...

Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks jen, those words are comforting, and I am very blessed to have a sister such as you.