4.03.2008

Need vs. Ridiculous


Okay. 1st time mom to a newborn here. As I am going through and creating a baby registry (which I hate doing any type of registry... Emery was in charge of our wedding registry) I am overwhelmed with what they say you 'need' vs. what I think is ridiculous. I have a good head on my shoulders, I am not going to just run out and buy this or that because they say I need it but I want to know from your experience. Here are some little examples.

For example.
Why would I need a Diaper Genie when I have a husband and pre-teen son, and quite frankly myself who can walk 15 feet to the outdoor Diaper Genie 72 times the size of the one that only cost's $49.99 and $10.00 for refills?

Another fine example.
Why do I need a car seat that costs me $249.99 for a child up to 22 pounds, when I can buy a car seat for $89.99 that meets all the safety requirements for a child up to 27 pounds? Is there something special about the car seat? Is a nanny provided in the cost?

So, please. Give me some good tips.
My bouncing baby boy will be here in June, and so tell me what you would buy for a newborn:
what would I need to have on hand, long sleeved onesies or short sleeved, what types of bottles did you like (I am going to Bfeed, but do want to pump and bottle feed also), I am assuming newborns don't need all the bells and whistles that so many new parents run out and purchase,
so be honest. What will my new baby boy
NEED.
Thanks moms.
It's women like you who make my life a breeze.

14 comments:

Catherina said...

Well, as for the Diaper Geanie, I don't have one, (I wanted one origionally) but what I got for my baby shower was a Diaper Champ, which you can use regular kitchen bags for. We keep that one upstairs. It was wonderful for midnight changes and morning. To be honest, her diapers go in any trash can, except for her # 2's, they go strait to the can outside! Anyhow lots of lovely details he he and here come some more...as for BF i wanted to do that exclusively for my baby, but no one tells you that they might reject it, (Isabella was a 21hr labor, w/forsepts so that supposevley caused her to not like it as much as she should) and it sure took a good month for her to actually take the B. So i have pretty much done both from the beginning. Which has totally payed off, I never was strapped down because of nursing. OH and stay away from the playtex vent air bottles, reasons:too many parts, works good at first, but ends up bending and melting in the dishwasher. I am a AVENT believer all the way now! Their handheld pump is awesome too!
Good luck Mama Jen!

Sister Tara Bowen said...

My husband worked at a baby store while I was pregnant, which has its pros and cons. What I thought was silly HE thought was necessary. SO we have the safest baby carseat that isn't a Brittax (a compromise). We bought a jogging stroller and figured out how to make it work with a snap-in carseat, saving tons of money and making it so I had the smoothest, greatest stroller in the world (until it was stollen yesterday! Can you believe it?!)
And I'd suggest never buying immitation baby lotion. Johnson and Johnson is so sweet and wonderful. All our imitation attempts have failed.

Chellie said...

HI Jen! It's been awhile since I've been on your blog! I can't believe he'll be here so soon!
When is your shower? You should email me! :)

Anyway, there are a million ridiculous things out there... like that bling binky you have pictured :) As a 3-peat mom, there are necessities and there are wants. With Scarlet, being my last child and only girl, she got a lot of wants. :)

I think I'll email you to give you my two-cents... and it is about 2 cents worth. But I don't mind telling you what I think.

Diaper Genies are horrible. They stink. I don't care that it says it blocks odors :) The big bin is best.

I like the Playtex bottles with a bag. I don't bfeed, but love those bottles.

As for carseats-- I am a PAID subscriber to Consumer Reports and I check out MANY things before I buy one. I'm sorry, but I am one that spends the 2 and 300 dollars for a carseat. They are NOT all created equal-- even though they have the same safety features. It's also not all about weight-- height and age play a factor as well. Those are just 2 comparisons-- when there is also an infant carseat, like Scarlet's, that goes up to 37 lbs! It's a PegPerego and I spent $225 on it.
Check ALL of your facts... that is not as "simple" as you might think when comparing weight and cost.

You're a cutie and I want to see your new haircut!!! I think I'll email you too. :)

Layton Mom said...

Boppy - makes bfeeding soooo much easier.

Swing - I have one that pkugs in so you don't have to replace the batteries all the stinkin time.

Bouncy chair - you won't need this right away but because it is small it can be moved from room to room so baby can be safely strapped in no matter where you are and you can still get things done.

As for bottles, all of my kids have used different ones. It took lots of tril and error to find ones that they liked. Kind of the same for pacifiers, and they only used those for a couple of months.

Stephanie said...

Jen, you already realized that you don't need a diaper genie so you're already on your way! We have a bucket outside by the door. Lots of onesies are wonderful, especially in the heat, and burp cloths cause babies are messy in so many ways. And diapers definitely do make a difference in quality. We always get cheap ones, but I tried Pampers once and they were amazing. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Look up customer reviews on the internet for car seats and strollers. Don't buy one of those huge SUV strollers that everyone has - what's the point? Just make sure it rolls nicely on lots of different surfaces (our Combi does not).

Don't buy bottles with lots of different gadgets (bag inserts, air reducers, etc). You won't want to deal with lots of parts especially if you're only using them occasionally.

You'll need lots of burp rags. 6-packs of Gerber cloth diapers are wonderful burp rags. Save the fancy homemade ones for church.

Read Dr. Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" and do everything it says. The swing and white noise are from heaven.

Buy an exercise ball now. It feels good to sit on & rock back & forth while you're pregnant (stretches out your hips), and it's great to sit & bounce on when you're holding a screaming baby (always calmed Sophie right away).

Skip the diaper genie. Nursed babies diapers don't stink until they eat food, and then you'll just want the diaper completely out of the house.

Zip-up PJs are tons more convenient than snap-up PJs.

Huggies wipes (they tear apart, they're not folded into each other like other wipes. Really nice).

Gwen said...

I would definately get some type of diaper pail. When you change the kids diaper for the 63 time in one day you will realize why you don't want to be running out to the trash for every diaper. And it's not like you want them sitting out! Newborn diapers don't really stink all that bad though, especially breast fed newborns. The $89 carseat should work just fine - you'll probably have to buy a bigger rear-facing one when he is about 7-8 months old anyways. If you have two cars I'd get a second base though. Makes life easier. I'd make sure that it's comfortable to carry and hold over your arm because, surprisingly, those things, with a baby in them, weigh a ton.

As far as other newborn stuff, I'd get the onesies with the fold over hands for the first 2-4 weeks. Vaseline if you're circumsizing(I've got more tips for that - ask). Johnson's breast pads are the best. Lansinoh for breastfeeding. "Butt Cream" or Triplepaste for the bottom, Aquaphor for scratches, Playtex Nurser bottles with the drop in liners. Make sure to get a good pump, it's worth all the extra money. I've got tons of advice but I don't want to take up too much space!
I love you!

Melinda said...

One other thing that I no one has mentioned that my kids loved from about 4 mos. to over a year is a baby saucer. My mega-saucer was a lifesaver for me. Sure they take up room and are an eyesore, but when you have a happy baby that can be contained even after they're walking, it's all worth it!

Nash said...

Ok I'm a friend of quite a few of your friends.
Here are my two cents (3kids, oldest 8).

I have NEVER used a changing table, rarely a changing pad, a breast pump (once while weaning with # 3, i loved it and will use it MORE next time) and never a diaper genie. My last two didn't really even use a pacifier ( i have happy babies luckily).
For me it's too easy to change kids on the floor, bed, your lap, wherever and to get your hubby to take it to the trash.

The mini CO-sleeper is my FAVE! Would have gone crazy without. Avent bottles are the best. Britax makes the best carseat (they make the fisher price voyager, so less expensive but very similar) and they usually go higher than 22lbs. I got my britax on albeebaby.com through ebay (discontinuted print=better price) Also, when shopping for infant carseat check the weight of it. My last one was a combi and only weighed 10lbs. The peg perego was like 20 lbs. Not fun when your baby starts gaining. Also their is a great book called Baby Bargains, they do all your comparisons for you. check that out.
I have been thinking about doing a post on my favorite baby items, been thinking about them as my SIL is due any day with twins.
LUVS are the best diaper, great price, although with newborns I use the pampers swaddler.
Feel free to email, I love to help out especially with things that worked for me. shanda.nashAThtml. I can invite you to my blog too. Sorry for the novel.

Kaylani said...

okay jen. moms these days seem to think they need the latest and greatest. I've found with diapers that the easiest is to hang a grocery bag on the door knob of wherever I change my baby. usually the bathroom or bedroom. i tie it up and take it to the trash each night and start fresh each morning. very easy and I'm not sanitizing and cleaning a diaper pail. the gift shop at the hospital rents out really great pumps by the month for as long as you need them. usually it's just the first 2 to get you milk going and a good supply in the freezer. it only costs about 20 bucks a month and it's a lifesaver. no need to buy your own. i am so excited for you. oh! I LOVE costco diapres and wipes too. P.S. don't waste your money on a diaper warmer either. you wouldn't want to raise a sissy boy ;) love you!

Nash said...

Craigslist is s great place to get a pump and other items. My sister got one of the nice MEDELA ones, for $100. A great deal. And I would say you would use your pump more than just the first few months. I only used one when I was weaning and it gave me great relief, this was 9 months after delivery.
Just remember the more you pump the more milk you produce.
Ok I won't comment again. Sorry!

Beth said...

Hey Jen, it's Beth Tait. Go to Talesfromthecrib.blogspot.com and there is TONS of info about stuff like this. I think there is a link for "info for new moms" or something like that.

Sometimes it is hard to know what to get. It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and are getting good advice. Borrow things from friends if possible and try it out once baby gets here (like a swing or baby bjorn). I would say that you should definitely get a breastpump b/c if you don't bottle feed sometimes, then you won't get a date night out with your husband for a LONG time. Plus, you want your husband to be able to feed the baby occasionally too.

And even though it seems like you need to get everything now, you can always pick things up afterward. You'll get tons of stuff for your shower.
Good luck. It's so exciting.

Linz said...

The biggest advice that I actually took was NOT to buy any clothes. I didn't need to buy one single thing. I had lots of hand-me-downs and HEAPS of gifts because you will find that they grow so much faster than they can wear it and its a TOTAL waste if have too many clothes! Plus after your shower you can go get the things that you might not have received. My mom bought me tons of baby gowns. They have the bit that goes over their hands so they don't scratch themselves and no snaps and fuss to do changings just lift up the gown! LOVED THEM!

Lansinoh is a MUST for the Bfeeding. There are some amazing heat/cool packs that you can buy just for bfeeding moms and those saved me on a number of occasions!! I thought that I needed an electric pump but give the hand held one a go first. Worked out fine for me.

Diaper Genie waste of money. Car seat...some really are better than others. You have to do the research on them because some don't have all the requirements they should. Having a rear and forward facing car seat all in one is the greatest and if it can recline...even better!

Best of luck in all of that! I can't wait to see you and the little Mr. bump!

Rose said...

Hey Jen- thought I'd chime in on this one seeing as I have a bit of experience with babies. LOL I have a Pump in Style by Medela (actually, I have two) that I could loan you if you don't want to spend the $250. All you'd have to buy is the tubing kit. It's one of the best out there before you get to hospital grade.
We buy the convertable carseats that go from newborn to 50lbs. You can't take it out of the car to go into the store but that carrying the fussing baby in one arm and the carseat in the other got very old very fast for me. :) That's where the sling came in. I love having a sling to carry them in. The babies seem to love it too.
For diapers I prefer Huggies and have always used them on all the kiddos. My babies have all had reactions if I switch brands so I just stick to the one. I agree with Gwen that you won't want to run out to the garbage everytime you change a diaper but that doesn't make a diaper genie necessary by any means. :)xo
Rose