10.13.2006

Friday the 13th... WHAT'S ALL THE HYPE?

Today is Friday the 13th. The world as we know it has dubbed this day and 'unlucky day'. I wanted to know why, so I found out the history of this day:

There have been a number of events known as "Black Friday" in history. Usually, these events are devastating. Historians propose the origin of the "Black Friday" was the simultaneous arrest of thousands of Knights Templars on October 13, 1307 (Friday), to be later tortured into admitting heresy. King Phillip the Fair of France and the Pope were jealous of the fame, power, and famous wealth the Templar's possessed. They ordered sealed letters sent all over the known world to opened at the same time. The letters were opened, and in accord with their instructions, the Templars were seized. Jacques De Molay, the Grand Master of the Knights Templar, was brought before the inquisition and forced to confess to charges including heresy toward the church and practicing homosexuality. When forced to disclose the names of fellow templars and the undiscovered wealth of the Order of the Knights Templar, De Molay refused and was burned at the stake on an island near the Cathedral of Notre Dame in France.

Okay, well... there you have it.

Here are some interesting phobias that I found. Phobia free's the way for me!
(except I really do hate snakes and spiders...)

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen , Fear of snakes (ophidiophobia) , Fear of giving a speech (glossophobia) , Fear of heights (acrophobia) , Fear of rodents (musophobia) , Fear of flying (aviophobia) , Papaphobia - fear of the pope , Scorodophobia - fear of garlic , Pteronophobia - fear of being tickled with feathers , Ranidaphobia - fear of frogs , Philematophobia - fear of kissing , Aulophobia - fear of flutes , Ostraconophobia - fear of shellfish , Graphophobia - fear of handwriting , Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words (seriously) , Blennophobia - fear of slime , Gerontophobia - fear of old people , Peladophobia - fear of bald people , Geropeladophobia - fear of old, bald people , Phobophobia - fear of developing a fear

Happy 13th to all, and may all your phobia's be snakes and spiders, not musical instruments (???)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen and Em! I've been thinking about you both a lot lately and thinking, oh my, I have been so bad at keeping in touch! I want you to know how much I love you both. I hope you are doing much more than surviving, THRIVING more like it! School is great! I love the classes, I just don't love the never sleeping part. Time is flying and semester is almost 1/2 over. Em, good luck on your engineering test thinger. You will do awesome! How is Alex? What are you guys up to for the holidays? Oh, and happy first anniversary, I know that's more of a thing just for you guys, but, hey, I think you both are amazing so I just had to say congrats! Jen, I sure love you girl and Em you are an inspiration to me. Love you and talk to you hopefully much sooner! -Beth